CAUSE OF HARROW FIRE REVEALED

News
Share the news

The fire that partially destroyed a block of flats in Harrow was caused by a cigarette it has been revealed. London Fire Brigade tweeted the below update last night (26 May).

 

“A flat in #Harrow was completely destroyed by a fire believed to be caused by a carelessly discarded cigarette. Thankfully, no injuries were reported. Carelessly discarded cigarettes cause avoidable fires. Always stub & dispose cigarettes safely.”

 

London Fire Brigade have also issued a smoking safety warning since the discovery that a cigarette caused the fire on Lyon Road in Harrow.

 

A flat on the fifth floor of the eight floor building was completely destroyed by the fire as numerous photos and videos surfaced online showing the flats up in flames. The fire happened on 16 May and firefighters led a woman and child to safety. Eighty people were evacuated from the building.

 

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said:  “If you’re a smoker it’s absolutely vital you ensure your cigarette is completely out when you’ve finished smoking it. If you don’t, you risk causing a fire which could not only destroy your home, but also cost you your life.”

 

Safety advice for smokers 

  • Make sure you have smoke alarms fitted in every room you regularly use in your home including in the hallways.
  • Never smoke in bed.
  • Always ensure you stub out cigarettes properly and dispose of them carefully.
  • Keep matches and lighters out of children’s reach.
  • Never leave lit cigarettes or cigars unattended.
  • Empty ashtrays carefully, ensuring all smoking materials are stubbed out and cold.
  • If you must smoke, do it outdoors.

At the height of the fire the Brigade’s 999 Control centre received 35 calls alerting them to the blaze.

 

The Brigade was called at 09:24am and the fire was under control by 10:45am. Crews from Harrow, Northolt, Stanmore  and other surrounding fire stations attended the scene.


Share the news
Tagged