Six fire engines and approximately 40 firefighters were called to a fire at a restaurant on Station Road in Edgware yesterday (7 May).
Eight people fled the burning building before London Fire Brigade arrived. The takeaway restaurant on the ground floor of the building and part of flat on the first floor were damaged by blaze.
Footage sent into Harrow Online shows a number of people looking on as firefighters tackle the blaze. One person said: “There is a big incident in Edgware, loads of fire engines are on Station Road and people are crowding in the street to see what is happening, I think one of the shops is on fire but I’m not sure, whatever it is looks bad”.
London Fire Brigade have said that the fire was discovered by a member of the public after they “looked out of their window and noticed smoke coming from the roof of the building.”
Unfortunately most of the roof was also damaged by the fire, thankfully there were no reports of any injuries in the incident.
It is believed that the fire was accidental and caused by oil catching fire in a deep fat fryer, which then spread via heavy grease within the extraction system LFB have said.
A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “We’d like to remind restaurant and takeaway owners to make sure that they don’t have dirty ducting.
“If you don’t clean your extraction system regularly, you’re at a greater risk of ducting fires.”
(Image and video credit: Instagram: @ayyitsfizzy)