12.3 C
Harrow on the Hill
Thursday, September 23, 2021
Home News House fire in North Harrow is believed to have been caused by...

House fire in North Harrow is believed to have been caused by a tea light candle

Four fire engines and around 25 firefighters were called to a house fire on Cambridge Road in North Harrow yesterday.

Part of the first floor of a semi-detached house was damaged by fire. Two adults and a child left the building before the Brigade arrived and were assessed on scene by London Ambulance Service crews for smoke inhalation.

Members of the Harrow Online Group sent footage and images showing the fire which included members of the public and neighbours looking on in horror.

The cause of the fire is believed to have been accidental and involved a tea light candle.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “Candles are one of the most common causes of fire.

“It’s really important that you never leave a candle unattended and keep them away from curtains and anything else that can easily catch fire. They should always be kept in a sturdy fire-resistant candleholder.

“You could consider swapping your traditional candles for safer, LED flameless ones.”

The Brigade was called at 1849 and the fire was under control by 1925. Fire crews from Harrow, Northolt, Wembley and Stanmore fire stations attended the scene.

The fire is believed to have been caused by a tea light candle.

Top candle safety tips – 

• Keep candles/tea lights away from curtains, furniture and anything else that can catch fire.

• Keep loose clothing and hair away from candles/tea lights when they are lit.

• Always place your candles/tea lights in a suitable fire-resistant candleholder.

• Make sure the candleholder holds the candle/tea light firmly and is on a flat and stable surface to stop it falling over.

• Make sure you put out any candles, incense and oil burners when you leave the room and especially before bed.

• Keep them out of reach of children and pets.

• You could swap your traditional wax candles for LED flameless ones. They are safer as you can leave them unattended, you don’t have to worry about knocking them over and if you doze off while it’s on, it’s not a problem.

Source: London Fire Brigade