5.2 C
Harrow on the Hill
Saturday, December 3, 2022
HomeNewsFour fire engines rush to house fire in North Harrow

Four fire engines rush to house fire in North Harrow

London Fire Brigade have issued a candle safety reminder after a house fire on Cumberland Road, Harrow yesterday morning (5 Dec).

Part of the first floor of the semi-detached house was damaged by the fire. There were no reports of any injuries.

The cause of the fire is believed to have been tea light candles.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “Candles are one of the most common causes of fires in the home and you should be careful when using them.

“It’s really important that you never leave them unattended and keep them away from anything that could catch fire such as curtains, furniture or clothes.

“We recommend swapping traditional candles for LED flameless ones as they are much safer, but if you do use real candles, follow our simple safety tips.”

The Brigade was called at 10:07am and the fire was under control by 11:20am. Four fire engines and around 25 firefighters from Harrow, Northolt and Wembley fire stations were at the scene.

Candle safety tips issued by London Fire Brigade: 

  • Make sure you put out any candles, incense and oil burners when you leave the room and especially before bed.
  • These items should always be held firmly in heat-resistant holders and placed on a stable surface where they won’t be knocked over.
  • Keep them away from materials that might catch fire – that’s things like curtains, furniture, clothes and hair.
  • Be aware that tea lights get very hot and without proper holders can melt through plastic surfaces like a TV or bath
  • To avoid accidents keep candles and other naked flames out of reach of children and pets.