-1.8 C
Harrow on the Hill
Friday, December 9, 2022
HomeNewsFirefighters issue battery safety warning after house fire in Harrow

Firefighters issue battery safety warning after house fire in Harrow

Firefighters are reminding people of their battery safety advice after a house fire on Brookfield Crescent, Harrow on Saturday.

Part of the first floor of a semi-detached house was damaged by fire. Two men left the building before the Brigade arrived. One man was taken to hospital by London Ambulance Service crews.

The fire is believed to have been caused by the failure of a lithium-ion battery.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “The fire was discovered by a resident who found a battery pack in their bedroom alight. They raised the alarm and left the building.

“On arrival crews faced a well-developed fire. Firefighters made the scene safe and fitted smoke alarms in the property before leaving.

“Batteries can present a fire risk if they’re over-charged, short circuited, submerged in water or damaged, so it’s really important to protect them against being damaged and charge them safely.

“Unplug devices once they have finished charging and always make sure you use the right charger for your device.”

The Brigade was called at 7:17am and the fire was under control by 8:37am. Four fire engines and around 25 firefighters from Stanmore, Wembley, Harrow and Hendon fire stations attended the scene.

Firefighters’ battery safety tips

• Always use the charger that came with your device.

• If you need to buy a replacement, always choose a branded, genuine product from a supplier you can trust. There are lots of fakes out there, and it can be difficult to spot the difference.

• Avoid storing, using or charging batteries at very high or low temperatures.

• Protect batteries against being damaged – that’s crushed, punctured, or immersed in water.