11.9 C
Harrow on the Hill
Sunday, July 14, 2024
HomeNewsMan from Wembley jailed after he seriously injured a three-year-old girl on...

Man from Wembley jailed after he seriously injured a three-year-old girl on his moped

A man from Wembley has been jailed after he drove through a red light on his moped and struck and seriously injured a three-year-old girl.

Raaid Ressaf, 19, of Wembley, appeared at Isleworth Crown Court on Monday, 20 December where he pleaded guilty to –

Causing serious injury by dangerous driving, Driving over the prescribed limit – cannabis, Driving without a licence and Driving without insurance.


He was sentenced to three-and-a-half years’ imprisonment. He was also disqualified from driving for 21 months (to start when he is released from prison) and he must pass an extended driving test when he is eligible to drive again.

On Tuesday, 8 June, police were called at 18:34pm to reports of a collision involving a moped and a child pedestrian on The Vale, at the junction with Bromyard Avenue in Acton, W3.

The London Ambulance Service and London’s Air Ambulance also attended the scene and the three-year-old girl was taken to hospital in a life-threatening condition.

Ressaf stopped at the scene and was arrested on suspicion of dangerous driving and driving while under the influence of drugs.

Detectives carried out a number of enquiries and established that the incident happened as the girl and her family were crossing the street at a pedestrian crossing while other vehicles waited at the red light.

Ressaf overtook the stationary vehicles and collided with the victim as she was part-way across the crossing.

The victim was unconscious with head and chest injuries. London’s Air Ambulance placed her in an induced coma before transporting her to St Mary’s Hospital where she had a CT scan and then went straight into surgery.

The victim, who is now aged four, is back home but has life-changing injuries and requires a lot of care.

Detective Constable Davina Nash, the investigating officer from the Met’s Serious Collision Investigation Unit, said: “Ressaf has finally taken responsibility for his actions after pleading guilty, which he had no choice but to do given the overwhelming evidence we collected against him.

“His dangerous actions on that day turned a family’s life upside down and caused them agonising pain and worry. Thankfully she pulled through, but she has been left with life-changing injuries and still requires a lot of care, all because of Ressaf’s irresponsible driving.

“I hope Ressaf’s sentencing makes people think twice before driving recklessly and going through red lights, which are red for a reason – to keep all road users safe.”

Never miss another news story, subscribe to Harrow Online for FREE!