There was a fire near Pinner Park Farm last night as four fire engines rushed to the scene to tackle the blaze on a field located off George V Avenue.
Images and footage sent to Harrow Online showed a large fire on the field shortly before 10:00pm.
Four fire engines and around 25 firefighters tackled the fire with part of a seven-hectare field in Pinner compromising of freshly cut hay was damaged.
A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “The warmer weather we have been having makes the ground extremely dry, which unfortunately means grassland and parks will burn quickly when exposed to even the smallest of sparks.
“If you see a grass fire, don’t attempt to put it out yourself as grass fires can travel very quickly and change direction without warning. Call the Brigade and let us know where the fire is.”
📱Keval S pic.twitter.com/dcASczlM54
— Harrow Online (@harrowonline) July 13, 2022
The Brigade was called at 2153 and the fire was under control by 2230. Fire crews from Northolt, Stanmore, Harrow and Ruislip fire stations attended the scene. Thankfully, there were no reports of any injuries.
London Fire Brigade also provided their top tips on grass fires:
• Avoid having barbecues in parks, public spaces and balconies.
• Clear away bottles, glasses and any broken glass to avoid them magnifying the sun and starting a fire.
• Dispose of smoking materials such as cigarettes safely- don’t drop cigarettes on dry ground and don’t drop them out of car windows, as they may land on dry grass and lead to a fire.
• Never leave barbecues unattended and extinguish them properly after you have finished using them.
• Disposable barbecues that have been discarded and abandoned can still end up causing a fire as they will continue to retain heat after use – they need to be put right out and cooled before being thrown away