5.6 C
Harrow on the Hill
Saturday, December 3, 2022
HomeArticlesA brief history of Stanmore Station

A brief history of Stanmore Station

Stanmore station is currently the western terminus of the Jubilee line (zone 5) and resides on London road. It has changed train lines three times in its ninety years Metropolitan rail (1932-1939), Bakerloo (1939-1979) and Jubilee (1979-present).

Opened on the 10th of December 1932 by the metropolitan railway (nowadays the metropolitan line), the architect, Charles Walter Clark, designed the Stanmore station building and twenty-five metropolitan stations from 1911 to 1933.

Stanmore station was built to create reliable direct services from greater London into the city centre. The Stanmore village railway station was 1km away but was forced into closure in 1963 due to being a slower transport link into central London than the newer Stanmore branch.

Station station has three flats within its building, designed for housing train drivers. It also has a news agents, a minicab firm and a traditional barbershop located at within. In 2005 construction began by London transport on a third platform. It took four years to complete the platform’s shell in 2009 and another year to install the signalling equipment. Named the Jubilee line in homage to Queen Elizabeth 2nd Silver Jubilee in 1977 (even though it was completed two years later).

In August 2016, Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, announced the Jubilee Line would become a night tube service which came to fruition on the 7th October, 2016.