Four fire engines and 25 firefighters rushed to Harrow Recycling Centre last night after 50 tonnes of rubbish went up in flames.
The fire was seen by members of Harrow Online Group who sent footage and images across shortly after midnight. Thankfully, no injuries were reported.
The fire is believed to have been caused by batteries mixed with recycled waste.
A spokesperson for London Fire Brigade said: “Four fire engines and around 25 firefighters tackled a fire at a recycling centre on Forward Drive in Harrow last night (May 18).
“Around 50 tonnes of rubbish was alight. There were no reports of any injuries. The Brigade’s 999 Control Officers received six calls about the fire.
“The Brigade was called at 2230 and the fire was under control by 0030. Crews from Harrow, Stanmore and Northolt fire stations attended the scene.”
A spokesperson for Harrow Council said in a statement, “The fire is believed to have been caused by batteries mixed with recycled waste which means around 45 tonnes of recyclable waste has been lost.
“We must stress how important it is to ensure the right items are put in your recycling bins. This situation could have been worse but thanks to the London Fire Brigade it was quickly bought under control with no impact to service or residents using the site.”