3.5 C
Harrow on the Hill
Monday, April 22, 2024
HomeMore NewsBalcony barbecue causes flat to go up in flames in Ealing

Balcony barbecue causes flat to go up in flames in Ealing

London Fire Brigade have issued an urgent warning not to barbecue on balconies after a flat fire on Gunnersbury Avenue in Ealing.

Part of a second-floor roof belonging to a flat above a shop was damaged by the fire. Thankfully, there were no injuries reported.

The fire is believed to have been accidental and caused by a barbecue being used on an adjacent balcony.

The Brigade said that they have previously written to a number of manufacturers and retailers highlighting its concerns about barbecues which were being specifically marketed for use on balconies.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “Many balconies have combustible materials as part of their construction and there are often combustible items stored in outside spaces so if a fire starts, it can spread quickly.

“Another worry is that wind can fan or carry smouldering ignition sources such as cigarettes and embers from barbecues to lower or adjacent balconies.

“We understand people want to enjoy their outside space if they have it, but please don’t think it won’t happen to you, because it can.

“Don’t be the reason you and your neighbours end up looking for somewhere else to live because of your cigarette or barbecue.”

The Brigade was called at 1840 and the fire was under control at 1907. Four fire engines and around 25 firefighters from Acton, Chiswick, Wembley and Richmond fire stations attended.

×