17.7 C
Harrow on the Hill
Friday, June 14, 2024
HomeCrimeHarrow Crown Court: Man convicted of manslaughter after parking dispute in Brent

Harrow Crown Court: Man convicted of manslaughter after parking dispute in Brent

A man who attacked another individual over a parking dispute in Brent has been convicted of manslaughter.

Abdelaziz Maaroufi, 25, Alperton, appeared at Harrow Crown Court on Wednesday, 12 July, where he was convicted of manslaughter following trial.

The conviction follows a murder investigation that was launched after 67-year-old Peter Marecheau, known to family and friends as Frankie, died in hospital from injuries sustained during a disagreement about parking.

Detective Inspector Louise Caveen of the Met’s Specialist Crime Command said:“We don’t know what made Maaroufi involve himself in the argument or why he resorted to extreme violence.

“Violence is never the right option, no matter what the disagreement and anyone who allows their temper free reign in this way risks finding themselves in the same position as the defendant.”

On September 9, 2022, the London Ambulance Service (LAS) contacted the police regarding an injured man taken to the hospital from Abbey Industrial Estate in Alperton.

The man, identified as Peter Marecheau, had sustained a life-threatening head injury and sadly passed away on September 12. Detectives determined that Peter worked at the industrial estate and had parked his car outside a unit where Abdelaziz Maaroufi, the defendant, worked.

Harrow Crown Court: Man convicted of manslaughter after parking dispute in Brent Harrow Online
Peter Marecheau. Image: Met Police

An argument ensued between Peter and the unit owner when Maaroufi intervened, pushing Peter four times. Despite efforts to diffuse the situation, Maaroufi punched Peter in the face, causing him to fall and suffer a significant head injury.

A post-mortem examination confirmed that Peter died due to a blunt-force head injury. CCTV footage captured Maaroufi arguing with Peter and subsequently punching him. Maaroufi was arrested and charged with murder, to which he pleaded not guilty. He was remanded in custody and awaited trial. Following the verdict, Maaroufi remained in custody and is scheduled for sentencing on July 21.

Detective Inspector Caveen added: “My thoughts are very much with Peter’s family today. I hope that they can find a small measure of solace in knowing that Abdelaziz Maaroufi will face the consequences of his actions.”