17.7 C
Harrow on the Hill
Friday, June 14, 2024
HomeNewsMatch Report: Hendon 2 - 2 Harrow Borough

Match Report: Hendon 2 – 2 Harrow Borough

Harrow made one change from the team that started against Poole, with Elliott Poley coming in for Prince Kandolo. This made him the third centre-back partner for Reece Yorke in six games. Hendon began with two players from last season’s Harrow side in their lineup: Sam Adenola and Billy Leonard.

The match started cautiously for both teams until the 7th minute. Lonit Talla sent Muhemba through one-on-one with the keeper. Kerbey made a save with his legs, causing the ball to loop up and land a few feet wide of the right-hand post, resulting in a Harrow corner. Hendon earned two corners in succession in the 11th minute. Tobin fumbled shots twice, which he would usually hold onto without issue. Fortunately, on both occasions, a Harrow player was quick to the loose ball and managed to clear it.

The Yorke/Poley experiment was abandoned after 21 minutes due to Mirtahmasebi’s injury. Tristan Vernal came on and slotted into centre-back, while Poley shifted to right-back. Excellence had an outstanding game, dominating and intimidating every Hendon player who approached him. The defenders visibly hesitated whenever he gained possession.

Borough took the lead in the 28th minute. Talla delivered an exquisite pass to Muhemba on the edge of the Hendon box. Excellence then passed to his left to set up Harlem Hale. Although the keeper parried Harlem’s shot, he couldn’t prevent Harlem from tapping in the rebound from 5 yards. In contrast to the Poole match where the lead lasted three minutes, this time Harrow maintained their lead for four minutes. A cross from the Hendon left saw Vernal, under pressure from Joe White, inadvertently score an own goal from 6 yards.

Just four minutes after conceding an equalizer, Harrow regained the lead. Tobin’s free kick from the Borough six-yard box was flicked on by Muhemba. Talla ran through behind the Hendon defense and finished right-footed past Kerbey. It was a direct play goal that would have pleased Charles Hughes and Howard Wilkinson.

Hendon pushed for an equalizer and came close just before half-time when Billy Leonard’s volley from the edge of the Harrow box hit the outside of the post.

Half time: 1-2

The second half began evenly until the 58th minute. Hendon’s skipper, White, ran onto a through ball inside the Harrow box and pushed the ball towards the goal line, tempting Reece Yorke to make a tackle. White appeared to be seeking a penalty as he contacted the outstretched leg of the Borough captain and fell down. Despite the linesman being only 10 yards away, he indicated a penalty by placing his flag across his chest. However, Referee Austin awarded Hendon a free kick outside the box.

Harrow introduced Mbele and Dembele for Mitchell and Hale. Excellence was moved to the left, diminishing the attacking threat and allowing Hendon’s centre-backs more time on the ball. Harrow absorbed a fair amount of pressure and finally conceded in the 72nd minute. A cross from the Hendon left led to pinball in the Harrow box. The ball eventually found its way to Joe White on the edge of the area. His shot deflected off the foot of Elliott Poley, wrongfooting Tobin and ending up in the net.

With the home crowd’s support, Hendon pressed for a third goal. Reece Yorke played like a true captain, winning numerous headers and making crucial last-ditch blocks. Desperate defending ensued, with every Harrow player falling behind the ball.

As the game approached the 90th minute, Hendon appeared to run out of energy, allowing Harrow to regain momentum. Muhemba had a half-chance late in the game after being put through by Talla.

Harrow managed to withstand a couple of stoppage-time free kicks and corners. The final score was 2-2, resulting in a well-deserved away point for Harrow.