One of the few bright spots in an otherwise disappointing 2022/23 season was the FA Trophy run to the 4th round.
Harrow Borough FC made an impressive journey, going out on penalties to the eventual winners FC Halifax Town.
In a peculiar turn of events, the FA Trophy campaign was even more frustrating. The Harrow side showed remarkable prowess in Trophy fixtures, only to fall flat in league games the following week.
The Trophy, being the most important cup competition for clubs of our level, offered a substantial prize of £2.5k to the winners of the third qualifying round.
The match against Margate, held on a strangely warm October afternoon, was intense. Harrow Borough, coming off two consecutive defeats with no goals scored, faced a formidable opponent.
Margate dominated possession, putting Harrow’s defense to the test. Despite challenges, Harrow managed to hold their ground.
The only goal of the game came in the 64th minute. Margate’s appeal for a penalty was granted, leading to a red card for Harrow’s Skye Salmon.
Lonit Talla’s penalty was parried by Margate’s keeper, but Stefan Powell was quick to capitalize, securing Harrow’s lead.
The victory, although hard-fought, marked Harrow Borough FC’s first clean sheet of the season. The team’s performance, though not flashy, was undeniably effective.
With upcoming league games against Swindon and Didcot, Harrow Borough FC faces critical challenges. Securing victories in these matches could set the tone for the rest of the season.
Additionally, the win led to a unique twist of fate in the fixture schedule. The AWAY league fixture at Beaconsfield was postponed and replaced with a HOME FA Trophy fixture against Beaconsfield, offering another opportunity for Harrow Borough FC to shine in the competition.
We apologize for the delayed and concise match report this time. Our usual Sunday morning report writing was replaced by a charitable cause.
We participated in a fundraising event for Parkinson’s disease, a cause very close to our hearts at the moment.
Normal reporting will resume after our upcoming match against winless Swindon this Saturday.
Harrow Borough Lineup:
- Goalkeeper: Tyler Tobin
- Defenders: Barsa Mirtahmasebi (sub – Tyler Robinson 83), Jaden Sharman, Reece Yorke, Henry Lukombo, Harry Seabrook
- Midfielders: Stefan Powell, Ross Oulton, Excellence Muhemba
- Forwards: Lonit Talla (sub – Ronny Mfinda 90+3), Nagheeb Ibrahim (sub – Reece Mitchell 65)
- Unused Subs: Richie Mbele, Mack Miskin, Prince Kandolo, Reece Cameron
- Yellow Cards: Ross Oulton 11, Jaden Sharman 42, Stefan Powell 75, Tyler Tobin 80, Henry Lukombo 86, Ronny Mfinda 90+3
- Goalkeeper: Harry Seaden
- Defenders: Harrison Hatfull (sub – Antonis Vasilou 83), Archie Johnson, Godfrey Poku, Tyron Sterling
- Midfielders: Harry Hudson, Sam Blackman, Steve Cawley, Ben Greenhalgh
- Forwards: Rohdell Gordon (sub – Fyn Rutherford 83), Skye Salmon
- Unused Subs: Reece Hobbs, Daniel Duncanson, Vinnie Bowman, Leo Mazzone, Rory Sutcliffe
- Yellow Cards: Harry Hudson 56, Archie Johnson 74
- Red Card: Sam Salmon 64
Referee: Daniel Ripton
Weather: Dry and sunny, 75°F