27.6 C
Harrow on the Hill
Tuesday, June 25, 2024
HomeNewsWoman flees house fire in Rayners Lane believed to be caused by...

Woman flees house fire in Rayners Lane believed to be caused by heater

Firefighters are reminding people of their heating safety advice after a fire at a detached house on The Close in Rayners Lane, Harrow last night.

Half of the ground floor was damaged by the fire. One woman left the building before the Brigade arrived and was treated on scene. The fire is believed to have accidental and caused by a heater.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “The rise in energy costs means there’s a very real risk of heating-related fires. We know that people will turn to alternative ways to keep their families warm overnight without turning on the heating, we just want to make sure that people are staying safe at the same time.

“We know that people may want to use portable heaters to heat just one room. It’s important to follow the manufacturer’s instructions and ensure these items are safety registered and in good working order. If you’re using these items around children always supervise them carefully and place heaters somewhere where they won’t be accidentally knocked over and away from anything that could catch fire.”

The Brigade was called at 6:23pm on 12 December and the fire was under control by 7:40pm. Four fire engines and around 25 firefighters from Harrow, Northolt and Ruislip Fire Stations attended the scene.

For more local news, recommendations and discussion, join the Harrow Online Group on Facebook. Click here to join.

Never miss another news story, subscribe to Harrow Online for FREE!