7.8 C
Harrow on the Hill
Tuesday, April 16, 2024
HomeArticlesTaking Care of Harrow - A history of our borough’s hospitals

Taking Care of Harrow – A history of our borough’s hospitals

Hospitals are a vital part of any community, whether you live in a metropolitan city or a small town. In this article, we’re taking a look at some of the hospitals in Harrow throughout the years.

Harrow Isolation Hospital

Financed by the surrounding Urban District Councils, The Harrow Isolation Hospital was built in 1895 to treat patients suffering from deadly – and highly contagious – diseases such as cholera, scarlet fever, diphtheria and enteric fever. At its inception, the hospital had just 10 beds; however, in 1905, an additional Scarlet Fever Block was added to the hospital at a cost of £1900.

Due to the nature of the diseases being treated, visits were limited to 15 minutes, two afternoons per week, and had to be sanctioned by the Medical Officer or Sanitary Inspector.

Northwood & Pinner Cottage Hospital

In honour of the soldiers and civilians who lost their lives in the First World War, The Northwood & Pinner Cottage Hospital was built on the corner of Green Lane and Hallowell Road in 1920 and was opened by Margaret Lloyd George.

The hospital would later relocate to a more appropriate, purpose built space on Pinner Road in 1924 and, an extension in 1930 was opened by the Countess of Harewood. In 1948, the hospital became part of the newly formed NHS (National Health Service) and was renamed the Northwood, Pinner and District Hospital. Due to excessive costs, the hospital closed in 2008.

Northwick Park Hospital

Designed by British architect John Weeks and constructed by Trollope & Colls, Northwick Park Hospital opened in 1970 by Her Majesty, the late Queen Elizabeth II, and was named for the nearby park and recreation area. The hospital was designed with growth and expansion in mind and, in 1994 a wing which was previously used for medical research was taken over by St. Mark’s Hospital which had been located some 10 miles away.

Over the decades, Northwick Park has made the headlines a number of times, beginning with a failed “robot nurse” experiment in the 1990s. More seriously, the hospital made the news in 2006 when six healthy young men who were participating in a clinical trial at the hospital were all admitted to intensive care within 16 hours of the trial. The hospital currently has over 500 beds and is one of the largest medical facilities in the borough.

Taking Care of Harrow - A history of our borough’s hospitals Harrow Online
Entrance to Clementine Churchill Hospital. Image: Google Maps

The Clementine Churchill Hospital

Based on Sudbury Hill, The Clementine Churchill Hospital is a private facility which was opened in 1942 and has capacity for 100 in-patients and retains the services of 300 consultants. The hospital covers a wide range of treatments but does not offer an Accident & Emergency department.

A healthy Harrow

Since the 5th of July 1948, residents of the UK have benefited from free healthcare through the NHS and, today, there are some 1148 hospitals in Great Britain. In Harrow, we’re fortunate to have access to some of the best medical facilities in London – as well as hundreds of talented, hard-working staff.

×