20.1 C
Harrow on the Hill
Tuesday, June 18, 2024
HomeNewsFirefighters remind BBQ safety after Edgware fire

Firefighters remind BBQ safety after Edgware fire

Firefighters have issued a reminder of their barbecue safety advice following a fire outside a building used as a range of shops, flats and synagogue on Edgware Way in Edgware.

One paladin bin was destroyed by the fire. One man was led to safety from the building by firefighters wearing breathing apparatus. There were no reports of any injuries.

The fire is believed to have been accidental and caused by a disposable barbecue.

London Fire Brigade Assistant Commissioner Pat Goulbourne said: “Of course we want everyone to be able to enjoy the weather but this has to be done safely.

“Disposable barbecues pose a significant fire risk if they are not used appropriately and put out properly, while the heat can be retained for many hours even after a barbecue has been put out.

“If you are visiting an open park or space, please do not take a disposable barbecue with you – they can cause grass fires, especially in hot weather when the ground is dry.

“Many of London’s parks and open spaces have bans in place on disposable barbecues, which are enforced by the relevant local authority. You can find more details about public space protection orders on your local authority’s website.

“Barbecues should also never be used indoors or on balconies.

“If you are having a barbecue, never leave it unattended and be careful where you position it. Try and keep it on a level ground and keep it well away from anything flammable like sheds, fences, trees or tents.”

The Brigade was called at 0130 and the incident was over for firefighters at 0222. Four fire engines and around 25 firefighters from Mill Hill, Stanmore and Hendon fire stations attended the scene.

Never miss another news story, subscribe to Harrow Online for FREE!