9.4 C
Harrow on the Hill
Saturday, June 15, 2024
HomeNewsFirefighter's urge smoking safety after high-rise blaze in Hayes

Firefighter’s urge smoking safety after high-rise blaze in Hayes

London Fire Brigade (LFB) have issued a reminder of their smoking safety advice following a fire at a high rise building on Uxbridge Road in Hayes.

Crews extinguished a small external rubbish fire at the rear of the nine storey building. A small part of the building’s cladding was damaged by heat.

LFB said the fire is believed to have been accidental and caused by the unsafe disposal of smoking materials.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “If you smoke it is vitally important you stub it right out, preferably in an ashtray.

“Always ensure your cigarette is completely out when you’ve finished smoking it. If you don’t, you risk causing a fire which could not only destroy your home, but also cost you your life. Firefighters recommend that you have a look at our online Home Fire Safety Checker to make sure there are no hidden hazards in your home.

“The online tool will ask you a series of questions that will help us work out the level of risk in your home, or the home of someone you care for. It only takes a few minutes to get tailored advice to keep yourself and loved ones safe from fire.”

The Brigade was called at 1:44am and the incident was over for firefighters at 4:00am Five fire engines and around 30 firefighters from Hillingdon, Northolt, Ealing and Feltham fire stations attended the scene.

×