16.7 C
Harrow on the Hill
Sunday, July 14, 2024
HomeNewsSunlight on mirror ignites fire at terraced shop and flats in Kingsbury

Sunlight on mirror ignites fire at terraced shop and flats in Kingsbury

Three fire engines and around 15 firefighters tackled a fire at a mid-terraced shop with flats above on Church Lane in Kingsbury yesterday, 18 June.

London Fire Brigade (LFB) confirmed that half of a two-roomed flat on the first floor of the four-storey building was destroyed by fire. Thankfully, there are currently no reports of any injuries.

The fire is believed to be accidental and caused by sunlight rays on a make-up mirror igniting curtains.

ADVERTISEMENT

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “These sorts of fires are not as rare as you would think. They can happen all year around, but as we head into summer and the sun gets stronger, it’s really important that reflective items such as mirrors, crystals and glass ornaments are kept out of direct sunlight.”

Never miss another news story, subscribe to Harrow Online for FREE!