18.5 C
Harrow on the Hill
Thursday, July 25, 2024
HomeArticlesA history of Harrow Garden Village

A history of Harrow Garden Village

Our borough is made up of many different areas – some of which are well known and others which have been lost to the sands of time. In this article, we’re going to be looking at one of these; Harrow Garden Village.

In the late 20s and early 30s, homes in Harrow and the rest of London were largely functional except for the wealthy. On Harrow on the Hill in particular, many Harrow residents lived in ‘farmer’s cottages’ – small terraced homes without, for the most part, gardens or yards.

In 1930, a poster appeared in Harrow and beyond, advertising newly built homes in Harrow Garden Village. Located close to Rayners Lane Underground Station, this new housing development promised a number of streets with semi-detached homes boasting large bay windows, tiled roof and, most importantly, gardens. Built by E.S Reid and sold through H Gibson Estate Developers, these homes promised space and grandeur which had previously been out of reach for normal working Harrovians.

ADVERTISEMENT

What’s more it also offered easy access to London and beyond via the conveniently placed tube station.

Rayner’s Lane is, of course, still very much a feature in Harrow, however, the term Harrow Garden Village is no longer used by many of its residents. The homes themselves do, however, still remain (although many have been converted into flats) – but are a far cry from the ‘popular prices’ advertised in 1930.

Never miss another news story, subscribe to Harrow Online for FREE!