In the last few weeks, there has been an increase in burglaries or attempted burglaries at various business premisses in Harrow Town Centre.
The police have issued a letter to business owners in Harrow outlining steps to take to make sure their business is secure . The letter asks them to remain vigilant and to make contact with Greenhill Safer Neighbourhood Team if they see or hear anything suspicious.
The letter issued contains the following guidance for business premises:
• Try NOT to keep cash on the premises and use a safe with a time lock.
• Examine the outside of your premises. A well maintained exterior free of graffiti and rubbish will reduce the likelihood of criminals targeting your business.
• Identify areas that may be vulnerable to forced entry and rectify these.
• Ensure service doors are locked and secure when not in use.
• Ensure that you have a monitored alarm and that it is fully operational.
• Review your CCTV to confirm that it is operational, provides good quality images and covers your vulnerable areas.
• In case of emergency make sure there is a list of key holders who can be contacted.
• Consider moving high value goods away from display windows overnight.
• Ensure that stock rooms are locked and have stock out of sight.
• Ensure your keys are not left in the shop and that only designated staff have access to them.
• Consider the environment – e.g. are there overgrown bushes, wheelie bins or trees that could assist someone hiding from view or help them gain access?
• Ensure there is sufficient lighting around the premises – especially loading areas.
• Consider the presence of any combustible materials left out such as packaging that could create a fire risk (arson).
• Consider joining Harrow Database and Intranet for Safer Communities (DISC) scheme.
You can follow MPS Greenhill at @MPSGreenhill.
Contact them directly on 0208 721 2780
E-mail them direct at firstname.lastname@example.org
Always dial 999 in an Emergency or Dial 101 for Non Urgent Matters. (Image Credit: Google).