Ten fire engines and around 70 firefighters tackled a fire at a row of terraced houses on Mint Close in Hillingdon last night (29 June).
Half of the ground floor and the whole of the first floor and the roof of two houses were damaged by fire. Four people left one property before crews arrived, and a further 36 people were evacuated from surrounding properties. Thankfully, there were no reports of any injuries.
One of the Brigade’s 32m turntable ladders was deployed as a water tower to tackle the flames from height. Local residents in the area were advised to stay inside, keeping windows and doors shut. This was due to the large volume of smoke being produced by the incident.
The fire is believed to have been accidental and caused by the unsafe disposal of smoking materials.
A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “If you’re a smoker, it’s absolutely vital you ensure your cigarette is completely out when you’ve finished smoking it.
“If you don’t, you risk causing a fire which could not only destroy your home, but also cost you your life.
“Firefighters recommend that you have a look at our online Home Fire Safety Checker to make sure there are no hidden hazards in your home.
“The online tool will ask you a series of questions that will help us work out the level of risk in your home or the home of someone you care for. It only takes a few minutes to get tailored advice to keep yourself and loved ones safe from fire.”
The Brigade was called at 2056 and the fire was under control by 2232. Crews from Hillingdon, Hayes, Wembley and surrounding fire stations attended the scene.