5.9 C
Harrow on the Hill
Thursday, December 1, 2022
HomeNewsFirefighters warn public about portable heater usage after house fire on Harrow...

Firefighters warn public about portable heater usage after house fire on Harrow Road in Wembley

London Fire Brigade have warned the public to take extra care if they use portable heaters after a house fire on Harrow Road in Wembley yesterday evening (30 October).

The fire is believed to have been accidental and caused by textiles that were too close to a halogen heater within the property.

The Brigade confirmed that part of the ground-floor bedroom in an end-of-terraced house was damaged by the blaze. A man left the building before the Brigade arrived at shortly after 8:30pm and was taken to hospital by London Ambulance Service crews. The fire was under control by 9:38pm.

Four fire engines and around 25 firefighters from Wembley, Park Royal, Willesden and Southall fire stations attended the scene on Harrow Road.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “Fire caused by heaters, open fires and electrical items can be very intense and spread very quickly. There is a risk that some people, in a bid not to pay more, may end up paying an even higher price – through a fire that causes them serious injury or even costs them their life.

“We understand that people are trying to save money and over the autumn and winter we will be working with London’s communities to help them understand how they can #stayfiresafe, reduce the risk of fire in their home, and also hopefully keep costs down.

“For example, we know that people may want to use portable heaters to heat just one room. If you do, it’s absolutely vital that heaters are kept well away from curtains, bedding or furniture and are never used to dry clothes.

“It’s also important to always sit at least a metre away from the heater, as it could set fire to your clothes or your chair, and position them where they won’t be knocked over.”

Four fire engines and around 25 firefighters from Wembley, Park Royal, Willesden and Southall fire stations attended the scene.